Tuesday, November 20, 2012

First days of trip!

Hello! I have been trying to keep a few entries in my iPod on long bus rides well it's still fresh in my mind of what we've been doing. Staying at same hotel last night, tonight, and tomorrow night with wifi so will update quick. love you all and happy thanksgiving!

11/19 2:10: Hello all. Figured I'd try to keep a little journal along my trip just to record down everything while it's still fresh. I left Cordoba at 21:30 Saturday night with aSwiss girl and Finlandian girl, both who arrived in Cordoba in February. From Cordoba, we had a 11 hr. bus ride to Resistencia in the province of Chaco. The Swiss and I got lucky and had the best seats on the bus: top level and very front, full windshield view and room to stretch legs. A blanket and pillow were included and with those I was out for the night. When we stepped off the bus in Resistencia, it was so hot I couldn't get my sweatshirt off quick enough. Two AFS volunteers and two Italian boys that had already arrived were playing cards and waiting to greet us. We waited another hour or so and finally left with 7 students and 2 volunteers. We took taxis to one if the volunteer's houses...or should I say mansion, where we all changed into shorts and had a cool glass of agua. Then, we were off to the supermarket to buy food for lunch. We bought lots of lasta, bacon, cream, etc. and a huge watermelon to top it off. In regards to the cooking, I'll just say I LOVE Italians. The two boys cooked the 9 of us a full Italian pasta lunch...mmm. Meanwhile, we took turns setting the table, pouring terere (mate), relaxing in the sun, playing ping ping in the backyard, and sitting in front of the fan. After lunch at around 4:15, we all walked down the street to the house of the cousin of the volunteer...another big one with a big pool in the backyard. The afternoon was spent swimming, jumping off the wall into the pool (for the boys), swinging in the hammock, taking pics, and eating watermelon. Pretty similar to Montana November days, no? After showering and all, we headed to the terminal to meet the others. How fun! There are five of us girls from the states and were having a great time catching up from August! Overall, there are about 35 students I would guess...Japon, Thailand, Italy, Germany, EEUU, Switzerland, Finland, and lots lots more. We left the Resistencia terminal on a nice two level bus with TVs, reclining chairs, and a water/coffee/pop bar at 22:30 with an 11 hour ride ahead to Salta province where we will spend the next couple days. Dinner was fine-three plain sandwiches, an empanada, an an alfajor for dessert. I swear I will NEVER wear shorts on a bus again.....so cold. Slept a good two hours but woke up a few minutes ago shivering. No blankets or pillows provided but you guys know me-I can sleep anywhere. There is a huge thunderstorm outside right now: rain falling, thunder cracking, and so so much lightning. I hope we have good weather. Not to mention they drive like 30 mph on the highways here and it's really frustrating me. Alright, I'm going to try to sleep again so I'm not to much of a witch tomorrow even though they just turned the air on again! ah crazy Argentinians!

11/20 17:45: Hola! Hope you guys are having a fabulous Thanksgiving week and a good two day school week. I'm having an absolutely amazing time on my trip, though it may be a little different than you all...95 degrees and spent the day in the desert today. Yesterday was lots of fun. We arrived in Resistencia at around 9 and went to the hotel in Salta. I am rooming with a girl from Minnesota and one from Chicago. We lucked out and got the corner room with four beds and lots of room...but a broken air conditioner. Luckily, it cools off lots at night where we're at. At 12 we met for lunch in the hotel of pasta. Then, we went out with a guide and had a city tour which also included a gondola ride to the top of a mountain...such an unbelievable and peaceful view. We went to a street with a bunch of artisans and I bought a few things (surprise)! We went to dinner at a restaurant where we were served empanadas, salad, steak, and fruit salad for dessert. Woke up this morning at 530, are breakfast at hotel, and loaded bus. We had a 2 hr. ride to Jujuy in which we all slept. There were lots of artisans, monuments, etc. to walk around and shop at. Also, there were the hills of seven colors which are best explained through pictures...kind of like layered colored rocks and sand that makes awesome mountains. We did a three kilometer hike through the hills in the middle of the dessert. Lots of sunburns this afternoon (no, Mom and Dad, you've taught me well to use sunscreen). After, we drove another hour to the city of Huemaca where we had a typical dish for lunch of cooked meat, carrots, potatoes, and onions mixed together with fruit salad for dessert. We had some time to check out the artisans and local shops...I love them. We stopped on our way back to the hotel to do a hike to these ancient tenples/huts/pyramids/rock structures where it was very windy. Loaded the bus back up and now we are still in our way home to Salta. I've heard that tonight we'll have dinner then we're going out to a Pena which sounds like a disco with folklore music...should be interesting! We will go white-water rafting tomorrow...can't wait!! Pictures to come. Have a good vacation and please travel safe. Love from the desert, Kerri

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a ball. Thanks so much for including us on the adventure.

    ReplyDelete