Monday, August 27, 2012

Planes, Buses, and Automobiles

What a long week-but so much fun, so many memories, and so many new friends! I left on Wednesday morning at 4:45 from my house and flew to Miami with another girl from Bozeman. We arrived at around 3 and attended an orientation there until Thursday evening. 
Taking a walk in Florida on our last night in US!
 Twenty-four other kids from the United States and I boarded the plane to Buenos Aires, Argentina at 11 at night. We flew overnight and arrived in Argentina at around 8 in the morning.
Finally over South America!
We waited at the airport for the students from Canada and Iceland, then took bus ride to the three orientation sites. I was at a camp called Lazareno that was about one hour outside of Buenos Aires. There, we met many other kids from around the world. We stayed in houses that had bedrooms with many bunk beds and there was a big meeting room that we were in a lot. It was very cold outside and it didn't help that the Italians always leave the doors open-brrr!! I left on a bus to Cordoba at 11 Saturday evening with a friend from Belgium and a few other students. We drove overnight and arrived here at around 8 Sunday morning. We arrived earlier than we expected so had to wait for our families to come for awhile. It was such an amazing feeling when they called your name-knowing that this family had opened up their lives, families, and houses to me for the next 6 months. Soon,  my host brother Pedro, my host sister Mili, my host mother Nuki, and I were in the car headed to the house. They drove me through the center of the city to show me around a little. Their home is very close to the edge of the city so we had to drive for about 15 minutes. It's a nice house with a small office, Pedro's bedroom, Nuki's bedroom, a table, a small kitchen, and Mili's bedroom. For the rest of the morning, we sat at the dining table and talked some. Then, other cousins, aunts, and uncles all showed up for the asado. Meat, onions, and peppers were barbecued on the fire in the backyard, salad was prepared in the kitchen, Pepsi and Cola was bought, and bread was warmed. The meal was fabulous and plentiful-not to mention the amazing lemon pie for dessert. The meal was considered lunch and ended around three. Mili, two cousins, and I went to the center of the city to walk around, shop, and take pictures. We had a fabulous time together. When we got home at around 10:30, it was time for dinner. After we had a meal that was similar to the one at lunch, I decided that it was time for bed. It had been a very long day! Mili and I both slept until about 12 o'clock. The father owns a restaurant and so he brought us lunch-pasta, meat, bread, and meringue pie. Mili then went to her school which begins at 1:30. Nuki is a biology teacher so, on Mondays, teaches from 8 until 3:30. When she got home, she took me to the center of the city to buy a simple cell phone, exchange my dollars to pesos, and get money from the ATM. We then walked around and entered the old magnificent cathedrals, looked at the statues and fountains, and walked by the artisans. We picked Mili up from school and went to a bakery on our way home to buy some rolls. I decided to go with Mili to the gym tonight for awhile. I am trying to get enough sleep to catch up from my travel days but also get out and take advantage of the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment